Friday, March 18, 2011

Only Hyphen

In Wasserburg, a small peninsula on Lake Constance, there stands a small church close to the shore.  Around the church is a cemetery.  One of the congregational deaconesses was showing me this wonderful place, when suddenly she stopped and pointed down into the water before us.  “Here,” she said, “my life was decided.”  I looked down into the waves.  Old gravestones were lying there on the bottom.  When the water is clear, you can still read the inscriptions.

The deaconess continued, “When I was a young girl I was standing here once, looking down just as we are now.  My eye fell upon on particular stone whose name was no longer readable.  But I could still make out the dates, 1789-1821.  And there it struck me that the hyphen between those two numbers was a whole human life.  A mere hyphen, a dash, that’s all our life amounts to.  It suddenly came to me what a responsibility we have to make something worthwhile out of this miserable little hyphen.  That very moment I made my decision to place my whole life in the service of Christ, and thus I became a deaconess.”

We sat for some time there on the shore and it struck me also to see how great a miracle it is when God takes this little hyphen of our life and makes it into something “for the praise of his glory.”

No comments:

Post a Comment