Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Make Me an Angel

A person should not want to be an angle, I suppose.  After all, people are a higher, order of beings than angels, I understand.

I know also that there will be no migration of soul after death, and that if I die a human I will be a human forever.

Still there are reasons why I should like to be an angel—a good angel, of course.

Angels are often mentioned in the Bible as bearers of good tidings.  They were messengers from heaven.  The “word spoken by angels” proved true and reliable.  I would like to be a bearer of good news.

Angels often appeared quickly and without invitation.  They just “showed up” in the very hour of need.  Most of them are nameless.  The face or form of none of them is well described.  But they came and performed and errand of mercy right at a critical moment.  I would like to do that.

Furthermore, angels never drew attention to themselves.  They seldom discussed their mission or its difficulty.  They never complained about the task. They never dramatized themselves, but tried to appear as ordinary people.  They never stayed to reap a harvest of praise for what they did, simply delighted to do their work and went on.  I want to be like that.

Angels must live close to God, so close they hear His voice and know what He wants done.  What other angels do, or do not, never seems to bother them.  They only want to know what God wants them to do.  I want to live that close to God.

Angels are associated with singing and with radiance.  Where they are there is music, heavenly music.  And where they are there is light, heavenly radiance.  Any sky would be lightened by their presence, and any burden would vanish by their song.  I want to go my way singing, and walk with a radiant face among men.

No, I cannot actually become an angel, but I can be angel-like. Stephen’s face shone “as an angel” and angels minister to them who are angel-like.

--George E. Failing

No comments:

Post a Comment