Tuesday, March 29, 2011

If We Knew All the Facts

If we know all the facts, none of us would be so critical of others.  We often set ourselves up as self-appointed judges and severely condemn those about us, when our knowledge of all the facts involved is totally inadequate.  If we only knew all the element, we would praise and not condemn.

A man went to a barber shop to get a shoeshine.  The shine boy was slow with his work.  Exasperated, the man spoke to him harshly and with cruel words, whereupon the boy looked up at him with tear-filled eyes.

“Excuse me,” said the man, now contrite, “I did not intend to hurt you.”

“It is not that, sir, which causes these tears.  They were already there already.  You see, my mother died last night, and I am here this morning to earn enough to buy a small bouquet of flowers to go on her grave.  My eyes were so filled with tears I could hardly see your shoes.  That’s the reason I am so slow.”

The man was condemned in his own heart.  If he had only known all the facts!

If we only knew all the facts, we would be less envious and more sympathetic.  We would also be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment