Monday, February 6, 2012

Give me humility in my maturity.


Gracious Lord, You know better than I know myself 
that I am growing older,  and will some day be old.

Keep me from getting talkative,
an particularly from the fatal habit of thinking
I must say something on ever subject
and on every occasion.

Release me from craving to try to
straighten out everybody's affairs.

Make me thoughtful, but not moody;
make me helpful, but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all
but you know that.

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details,
and give me wings to get right to the point.

Seal my lips on my many aches and pains.
They are increasing, and my love of rehearsing them
is becoming sweeter as the years go by.

I ask for grace enough to listen to the tales of others' pain.
Help me to endure them with patience.

Teach me the glorious lessons that occasionally
it is possible that I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet;
I do not want to be one of the devil's imps.

Help me to extract all possible fun out of life.
There are so many funny things around us,
and I don't want to miss any of them.

I ask this in Jesus' Name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment