Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Give me a heart of holy love


Give me a heart of holy love,
Like that of God in Heaven above;
Which throbs with pity when I see
A brother's need reach out to me.
Compassion bids my hands to give
Of every good that they may live;
A heart that lights with tender glow,
And knows that love will heal his woe.

O, for a heart of mercy great,
In which there is no room for hate-
Forgiveness clears away the wrong,
A heart of hope, love-filled with song;
A heart that holds no hitter grudge,
And ne'er complains, although I trudge
The road where bleeding feet have trod,
But, Joy! it leads me on to God.

Give me a heart that loves the right,
And finds the way with living light,
A heart that lifts my eyes to see
The good in all where'er I be,
A heart where loyalties abide.
Give me a heart that's humble, just,
That God can bless and men can trust.

Give me a heart sustained by truth,
That shelters both old age and youth,
And harbors nought of sorrow, sin:
A heart that sings when others fret,
And murmurs nought of vain regret.
O let this heart give glory, praise,
Reflect to all love's healing rays.

-Edgar H. Rider

No comments:

Post a Comment