Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Labor Is Rest, Pain Is Sweet




Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Ps 23:4)



How can suffering be consistent with happiness? Perfectly well. Many centuries ago, is was remarked by St. Chrysostom, "The Christian has his sorrows as well as his joys: But his sorrow is sweeter than joy." He may accidentally suffer loss, poverty, pain: But in all these things he is more than conqueror. He can testify,

Labor is rest, and pain is sweet,
while thou, my God, art here.

He can say, "The Lord gave: the Lord taketh away: Blessed be the name of the Lord!" He must suffer, more or less, reproach: "For the servant is not above his Master:" But so much so the more does "the Spirit of glory and of God rest upon him." Yea, love itself will, on several occasions, be the source of suffering.

-John Wesley "The Writings of John Wesley"

No comments:

Post a Comment