Thursday, June 9, 2011

Owning His Ownership

Among the most honored names in the United States is that of Wendell Phillips, the incorruptible orator and statesman.  He was one of the most gifted of men.  He did possibly more than any other man to strike off the shackles from four million slaves.  he is known to this day as "the Boston Orator" - "the man who could not be bought."

Shortly before he died, he was asked by a friend whether there was any crisis in his life which explained his unfaltering devotion to his Maker.  This is what he said: "When I was fourteen, I heard Lyman Beecher preach on the Lordship of Jesus Christ.  I went to my room, locked the door, then threw myself on the floor of my room.  This was what I said: "O God, I belong to Thee: take what is Thine own; I gladly recognize Thy ownership in me; I now take Thee as my Lord and Master."  From that time to this I have never known a thing to be wrong without an aversion to it; and I have never seen anything to be right without having an attraction to it."

--J. Gregory Mantle

No comments:

Post a Comment