Friday, May 27, 2011

George Washington’s Prayer Life

The prayer life of George Washington at Valley Forge should be regarded as a heritage to every American citizen.  Washington made his headquarters in the home of Isaac Potts.  Isaac Potts was a Quaker.  One day he heard the sound of a voice in a thicket near his barn.  As he drew near, he saw Washington in prayer, while his horse was hitched to a sapling.  Mr. Potts rushed back to his home and said to his wife, “I have this day seen what I never expected; thee knows that I always thought that the sword and the gospel were utterly inconsistent and that no man could be a soldier and a Christian at the same time, but George Washington has this day convinced me of my mistake.”

Over the tomb of Washington is this inscription:  “I am the resurrection and the life; he that believeth on me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.”

His last prayer on his death bed was, “Father of mercies, take me unto Thyself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment