Monday, April 25, 2011

The Unknown Bible

The following passage is from Jurgen Rausch’s memoirs, written while in a prisoner-of-war camp.  “George developed quite a friendship with a Persian prisoner who was with us in the camp, and this Persian explained to him the religion of his homeland.  One day he said to George: ‘Now that I have told you all about my religion, please tell me about your Christian religion.’  As George was telling me about this whole event later he confessed: ‘I was ashamed of myself.  I had no sooner begun when I realized that I actually didn’t know anything about it.’”

You can notice this time and time again.  In discussions, even in Bible classes, it comes out again and again how very little Christians actually know about their faith.  How many have ever read their Bible from cover to cover even once?  Many don’t even know the bare “minimum” of the New Testament.  And when they do have occasion to reach for the Scriptures, they lay the Book down again after a short while because even with the best of intentions they are unable to find anything there that speaks to them.  They think that the fault lies with the Book, and do not suspect that something may be missing in them.  They must be told the words of the woman of Samaria:  “You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep” (John 4:11).  But many times they will still maintain that there is no water in the well.

No comments:

Post a Comment